My name is Sarah. I began this new venture while living on Peachtree Street with two lovely roommates. I make things compulsively, I am full of crazy ideas, and I have a passion for beautiful things.
This is my blog.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Pretty Little Something I Love


Here is a simply gorgeous project from one of my favorite blogs, Little Green Notebook. The designer silver leafed this dresser for a client to add a little glamor to her bedroom, and I am just dying to have the money and space to try it myself!

See her post about it here.

I've refurbished a dresser of my own. I got it for free from a couple in my church, and it was in pretty bad condition. Some of the drawers were falling apart, it had horrible hardware, and many of the tracks had fallen in so that they would not support the drawers. Nothing that a little gorilla glue, nails, and a hammer couldn't fix! Unfortunately I was not thinking and I didn't take any before pictures, but here is the project in near-completed form:



I primed it and painted it all a rich cream color, with a light blue inside the drawers.

I went along all the edges with a gold Sharpie pen, which I love and would highly recommend. This was inspired by the Winter 2009 edition of Do It Yourself magazine, a branch of Better Homes and Gardens (which, incidentally, has some great decorating ideas on their website). The magazine suggested lining the edge of a freshly painted desk with a sharpie to give it a more finished, almost asian look. They painted their desk a burnt orange and used a black sharpie. I loved their final project!

For my dresser, I also bought wooden knobs for $1 each at Lowe's (which I found difficult to screw in, I don't know that I would do that again) and painted an owl design on them, modeled after these knobs from Anthropologie.

Then I used my Sharpie pen to write some different quotes on the dresser using various fonts. The pen I had ran out before I could write as much as I wanted, and I only just bought a new one and haven't had time to get back to it yet. Right now, it says this:

"How can we say if this is art or not?"

"Wherever you turn your eyes, the world can shine like transfiguration... Only, who could have the courage to see it? -Marilyn Robinson, Gilead" (From one of my favorite books)

"J'attends l'impossible" (I am waiting for the impossible)

1 comment:

  1. yay!
    I support you 100% in showing the world your creativity!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete