My name is Sarah. I began this new venture while living on Peachtree Street with two lovely roommates. I make things compulsively, I am full of crazy ideas, and I have a passion for beautiful things.
This is my blog.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Pillow Project




Here are some pillows I made this week... I've had the fabric for them since last summer, but never got around to just putting them together.

I'm glad I didn't, because I didn't find this adorable ruffly design until this month! It's from a "snowdrift pillow" by V and Co., another blog I really enjoy keeping up with. She has a lovely aesthetic--I always love her color combos. For her (excellent) step-by-step tutorial on this pillow, click here.

Anyway, she made her pillow out of flannel, and I used upholstery
material. Why? Because I was looking through clearance fabrics at
JoAnn's for fabric to reupholster a pair of armchairs I got for free, and I found this fabulous toile! I am a toile fanatic. Love the stuff. It's so classy and chic. There wasn't enough left on the bolt to cover a whole chair, but I just couldn't put it down... thankfully, I found a whole bolt of fabric to use for my armchairs--a gorgeous seafoam green for $5 a yard, and it matched my toile perfectly! The brown patterned fabric was a remnant find--it is also upholstery fabric. If I make any more, I want to use a chocolate brown flannel. Yummy!

Now, because upholstery fabric is stiffer than flannel, sometimes I found it difficult to sew the blossom/ruffle pieces together securely. After turning the pillows inside-out and stuffing them, I went back around the ruffly bits and tacked down the edges so the raw edge underneath wasn't as exposed. Since they're throw pillows, and rather small, and I don't expect them to get much wear and tear, I'm not that worried about durability. If I put this sort of detail on a garment, however, I would probably use a nice cotton, turn the tube inside-out after sewing down the raw edge, and stitch it more securely in place.

Cheap Style Tip of the Week:

Shop remnants and clearance fabrics! I've discovered that if you're patient and willing to sort through the purple fake fur and the neon sheers, there are great finds waiting to be discovered. Case in point: my pillows. I bought up the whole bolt of toile, which was probably about two yards... after making two pillows out of it, there's enough fabric left for me to make a skirt. Which, by the way, is another one of my favorite things.

Never seen a skirt made out of upholstery fabric? Come back soon for pictures!

1 comment:

  1. I Really like the ruffles... I have really been into ruffle/bows/flower details on things lately :)

    ReplyDelete