My name is Sarah. I began this new venture while living on Peachtree Street with two lovely roommates. I make things compulsively, I am full of crazy ideas, and I have a passion for beautiful things.
This is my blog.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

The First of Many... Tutorials, That Is


Here, at last, is the first tutorial. I have become completely obsessed with making this pretty little headbands; some for friends, more for myself.

Aren't they adorable?

May I also say, I now have a greater appreciation for free online tutorials. It takes a lot of work to put these together! I am in awe!

Here's what you need (I bought all supplies but the glue gun at Walmart):

Headbands. A pack of 5 costs $3.50. Also, they are made for little girls, so they are uber comfy.

Ribbon (2-in wide, unwired). $2 a roll.

Extras (silk flowers, more ribbon, beads, buttons, feathers, etc.).
Here's what you do:

Begin by positioning the ribbon like this behind the headband. (This is the inside of the headband, the rest of it is coming towards me, behind the camera.)
Make sure the shiny side is facing out and the ribbon is at a sharp angle. (It is difficult but VERY important to keep the sharp angle of the ribbon while you wrap the headband. If you are not careful, you will very soon find yourself wrapping around and around in circles.)
Glue down the raw edge, then begin your first wrap. Use a small line of glue on the underside of the headband to secure each rotation of the ribbon.
Continue until you have wrapped the entire headband.
Cut the ribbon, fold raw ends under, and secure with hot glue.
Now you can decorate your headband however you like. For a simple flower, cut out circles of various sizes, layer them, and sew them together with beads in the middle.



Cheap Style Tip of the Week:

Why not try handmade for gifts? If you have a crafty or artistic side, and you're willing to put some time and effort into your projects, the results are often well worth the effort... not to mention, making your own gifts can be cost efficient. Extra plus: the receiver knows you spent time thinking about what they would like, and you can personalize each gift with to match that person's taste. Need I say more?

1 comment:

  1. great job I've been wanting to make some kindof hair thing with feathers I'm addicted to looking on etsy

    ReplyDelete